Monday, August 17, 2009

Graduation

I know we're supposed to blog about a topic we're studying in LIS 725, but I can't help but reflect on my years leading up to this day - my last GSLIS class. I've been so looking forward to graduating, and now, of course, I'm feeling a little sad! I will not miss assigned readings, writing papers, creating citations, or driving to Oak Park/River Forest, taking the train to Chicago, or sitting in traffic trying to get to Oswego.
I will miss my classmates and instructors. It's only been since January that I have had classmates that I knew! Previous to the spring semester, every time I started a new class, most everyone was new to me. While I appreciate meeting new people, there's something to be said for knowing someone's name, a bit of their back ground, and feeling comfortable sharing in class. My instructors have been great, but I've also learned a lot from my classmates. Hopefully, with blogs, web pages, twitter, and email, I'll be able to keep in touch with my friends.
Most of all, I just can't wait to start my job! The kids will be here in eight days. Next Tuesday will be the beginning of a new(ish) career for me, even though I am in the same school. My new teammates, the other librarians in the district, will have lots of advice for me and will help me out as well.
So, I won't be sad about finishing graduate school, but excited about all the possibilities ahead!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduation! I recall that very day several years ago when I drove to campus a student a drove home a librarian! It is a very special day so enjoy it.

    Librarians are a pretty tight group. You will find your friends and colleagues at workshops, seminars, and conventions.

    We all should strive to stay in touch. There is one thing about school librarianship that is a tad different than public librarianship and that is the possibility for isolation. Keep those doors open and seek out your fellow librarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you as you embark on this next phase of your career! I love the beginning of each year for all its new possibilities.

    Thanks for your willingness to share your experiences and ask questions this semester. I also appreciated the way you actively responded to the blogs of others.

    All the best and congrats on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made it! I celebrate with you. I know you will do well. Lead the pack. Blaze the trail.
    So, congrats! See you @ the commencement;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lonzlavo, I don't think I can make it to the August Pot Luck. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete